Skip to main content

Finn

When Dylan turned 3 he was feeling very lonely sleeping alone in his room at night. I bought him a fish which he named Finn (that's what Bob the Builder's fish is named). Finn is a Beta and they are hearty fish. He has survived over feeding, under feeding, dirty water, and a move up to Seattle in a red sippy cup. Finn is now 2 1/2 at least. Who knows how old fish in the pet store are? He took a rapid turn for the worse this past week. For a few weeks I noticed he has been resting at the bottom of the fish bowl a lot. I changed his water, which usually perks him right up, but not much changed. Dylan wanted to bring Finn for his show and tell day, and I figured that this might be the last chance so I said it was okay. Then Finn started to look worse. Instead of just resting on the bottom of the tank he was resting sort of sideways on the bottom of the tank. I warned Dylan that Finn might not last the night and he needed to be brave if Finn died. He was an old fish and had lived much longer than a normal fish could expect. Also, what was his back up show and tell in case Finn did die?

Well, Finn lasted the night and we took him to school where the teacher had to try to figure out what to tell the kids if the fish went belly up during class. The newest sign of fish distress was Finn would very suddenly and frantically start to swim in circles, turning sort of upside down as he went. Then he would settle back down on the bottom of the tank. We kept Finn down in the kitchen with us all evening, keeping an eye on him and tapping the tank occasionally to see if he had expired. Dylan, very touchingly, asked if we could take some pictures of Finn before he dies. So after dinner we got out the camera and tried to capture the true spirit of Finn. It's kind of hard to take a picture of a really small fish in a plastic fish tank.

So now that we've tried to prepare Dylan for this brush with mortality, I just know this fish is going to hold out on the brink of death for weeks! Well, Finn, while you're still with us, thanks for being a good and friendly fish. Hope there's a nice fish tank waiting for you in Fishy Heaven.

Comments

Julie said…
Oh, no! Finn! That is so sad! Let us know what happens, and give Dylan a big hug for us. Losing a pet is very hard.
gwyn said…
Poor Finn's demise makes me sad, for Dylan's sake. It sounds like he is being very brave about it. I hope everything goes smoothly. 2 1/2 years does seems like a long time!
myrna said…
I think that losing pets is a very hard thing for the entire family. I've heard that it is a good way to help children "gently" begin to learn about death and all those issues, but it is still tough. Good old Finn, he's been through a lot with your family. Dylan seems to be accepting your explanation about the life expectancy of a fish. Let us know how this goes.

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...