I fought pretty hard to get Santa included in our Church Christmas party this year. But I was outvoted and told that a nearby mall has a Santa that never has a line. So last Saturday we took the kids over to see this no-line Santa. Have you noticed how mall Santas tend to be pretty good lately? When was the last time you saw a professional Santa with a fake beard? After waiting in a moderately long line, the Santa had a spirit gum beard. It turns out the real beard is a big deal. When your cheapo beard is glued on you can neither talk nor smile. So instead of the Jolly Old Elf, Santa sat looking rather anxious for his lunch break while the twins in front of us both screamed their little lungs out and an automatic camera hidden in a fake fireplace snapped pictures. So is it supposed to be less frightening to have a hidden camera? The scary jingly-toy lady was still there terrifying the kids in her attempts to coax smiles. The price for this joyful wintry experience? Beginning at $19 for a single 5x7 photo. Is there any way I am paying $19 for a Santa with no beard who doesn't even have a crinkly eyed smile? So I asked if we could take our own photo (I seem to recall being able to do that once with the awesome Santa at Sandy Towne Centre in Utah). We weren't allowed to take a picture, but Dylan did march right up to Santa and climb on his knee to ask for a toy submarine. Caitlin, on the other hand talked a good game but shyed away at the last second. After telling people that Santa was going to sit on her lap, she climbed up into my arms and watched with a grave face as Dylan accepted his candy cane. I set her down and we walked up close to Santa. He asked her if she wanted a doll for Christmas. She nodded and repeated, "I want a dah-wee" Then she sort of reached out her hand for the candy cane and we were off. Sans photo.
Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...
Comments
Sorry about that "un-Christmasy" experience!