Skip to main content

Restaurants that I love

One of my favorite things about Seattle is the endless supply of delicious restaurants. We have lived here for almost 2 years now and we still have a list as long as my arm of places we want to try. Here are some of my favorites: (some of these have been mentioned on my blog before, sorry for the repetition).

Tilth
The food is the main draw here, but the atmosphere is also great. The menu changes seasonally but there are usually a few staples that remain so I can always get my fix of mini duck burgers. The dishes all come as main courses or small plates. We love to get small plates and share several things. That way we really do get to try most of their food. They take reservations and you will most likely need them. We have seen people try to just walk in for a table and be turned away.

The Kingfish Cafe
I have posted about this place before. It is one of our favorite places to bring out of towners. The food is southern comfort (fried chicken, mac 'n cheese, fried green tomatoes...) and while I have loved everything I have had there, the real draw for me are the desserts. Whatever you do never attempt to eat a dessert there on your own! They are made to share. One serving of their bread pudding easily fed 4 adults and 2 kids. When bread pudding is out of season there is strawberry shortcake, red velvet cake and pineapple upside down cake to ease the pain. And the best part is there are still desserts there that I haven't tried yet! Their one downfall: they don't take reservations and they are always full! We've waited for 2 hours for a table more than once.

Crush
I always try to recreate things we try in restaurants. I think this might have been where Ken and I first tried celery root. I owe you so much, Crush! On the other hand every time we go here we feel old and very unhip. This restaurant is for the young and rich and beautiful. Also the service can be very slow. Last time our waiter spent so long talking to the hipper people at the table next to us that we didn't have time to order dessert.

Lark
We laughed all the way to the restaurant - wondering how many more one syllable restaurants we could possibly find. All the way home we were smiling because the food was so yummy! We loved the feel of the restaurant. It's got really great exposed beams on the ceiling and sheer curtains dividing up the dining room. Our window seat had a beautiful view, but got a little chilly.

Marjorie
We just ate here last night for the first time. I wanted to try this place because there were pizzas and guacamole and chicken tikka masala all on the menu, it has out door dining, and the restrooms have record players and a stack of records. We ordered the guacamole, which has roasted pineapple in it and is served with plantain chips. I never want to eat regular guacamole again! We sat outside (yesterday was BEAUTIFUL!). The outdoor seating is actually in the alley between the restaurant and the building next to it. It reminded us of Italy. Oh, I listened to Blondie in the restroom.

Vios
Have you ever wanted to eat dinner while your kids play in a play area visible from your seat? If so you should be eating at Vios. The food is Greek/Mediterranean inspired. We found this place because we were looking for gelato, so there's one more reason to give it a try. They also have really good lunch time food- sandwiches and the like. No reservations- and they are super busy on weekends so go early or late or on a weeknight. Also make sure to try the galaktoboureko!

Andalouca
I found this place for our anniversary a few years ago. I was looking for a Spanish restaurant to remind us of our trip to Spain and also to remind us of our favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City, Cafe Madrid. This place also inspired me to try to recreate a recipe- a grapefruit and avocado salad served with seafood (it's part of the crab tower at Andalouca). Mine isn't nearly as delicious as theirs but if you've never tried grapefruit and avocado with seafood you really should try it. Soon. It's yummy.

Nell's Restaurant
I wish I could remember more about my meal here because I remember that I really liked it. It was probably some kind of pork loin- I tend to order pork loin frequently. Unlike Crush, this place feels kind of like your parent's kind of restaurant. But in a good way. I think we were the youngest ones there that night. However, the kitchen is behind a great big glass window so I got to watch all the plating which I thought was very fun.

Monsoon
If I am not mistaken our first date in Seattle was dinner at Monsoon. I remember two things very distinctly: while looking for street parking we needed to U-turn but there was a car right behind us so Ken turned into the Kingdom Hall parking lot to turn around, assuming that no one would be going there. Ironically, the car behind us was apparently being driven by Jehovah's Witnesses because they pulled in right behind us, parked and got out of the car. Then after parking we were walking the block or two to the restaurant and I fell flat on my face (oh, and I was 7 months pregnant) right in front of the restaurant. To further my embarrassment, The Kingfish Cafe (see above) is directly across the street and there are always tons of people waiting outside for a table. They all got to see my graceful face plant as well. Ah well. The food was good enough to take my mind off my embarrassment. We also ate there for Valentine's Day 2007.

Cremant
I tried to reserve a table here one night and there was some confusion which led to us showing up with no reservation. The waiter managed to get us a table anyway which was really nice. He happened to ask Ken the "where do I know you from?" question on a day when Ken was trying out a new philosophy of actually telling people why they recognize him which led to an amusing response. After Ken explained the waiter said, "Oh, yes. Thank you for your honesty." Which cracked us up. What does that mean? How did he know that Ken usually asks people if they went to High School together? (This is especially amusing with the geriatric set who never get the joke.)
Oh, but on to the food. The hanger steak and frites is the best thing on the menu. The French onion soup is delicious and the creme brulee is also really good. The steak and frites is the reason to eat there.


Entre Nous
So the "thing" about this place is they serve French tapas, which means the servings are all small and easy to share so you get to try lots of stuff. I recommend anything that has the brie sauce. The baguette is really good- it has to be since they charge extra for it! Three things about this place: Last time we went we were the only ones in there for quite a while, which always makes me sad. There was this restaurant in Salt Lake that we used to go to when we were first married. We loved it but we couldn't save it. No matter how many kabobs or how much baklava we purchased. So whenever we eat some place that's empty I start to worry that one time I will drive up and the place will just be gone. With no warning. Just like Aladdin's. sigh.
The second thing is they project this black and white French film called Band Apart (I think) on the ceiling in a sort of trapezoidal shape. And the last and my personal favorite- along with the menu there is a list of rules for eating in a French restaurant on the table. I think it's supposed to be written in a sort of good natured quasi joking kind of way but somewhere it just becomes kind of awkward. It gave us a good laugh. Did I mention the brie sauce? It's really spectacular!

Le Pichet
I have always loved the food here and never had any complaints but I read an online review where someone saw a mouse run across the floor while dining here and I can't really get too excited about going back. I feel like something special was taken from me! Au revoir, le Pichet. Je t'aimais mais je ne t'aime plus. Actually, that's probably not true. I would go back but I will keep my feet raised up off the ground. It will be good for my abdominal muscles.

And I wonder why I am having such a hard time losing the last 15 pounds of Caitlin baby weight. I am overpowered by the deliciousness of it all!

Comments

Sandy said…
Oh my gosh...I want to visit and go on a restaraunt tour! Sounds so, so delicious.
gwyn said…
This is too cruel. As if I don't think about the mac and cheese at Kingfish Cafe often enough as it is! That does it - we are coming up to visit you soon. :)
Zach and Sarah said…
I am seriously contemplating moving to Seattle just so I can try all of these places. Now, where could Zach find a job????
Mindy said…
My evil plan worked! I am TRYING to tempt you all up here! A visit is good. Moving here is better. Just remember- there are even more restaurants I love and I just didn't mention AND more restaurants that I haven't even tried yet!
myrna said…
Mindy, this is just too cruel! The best thing Salt Lake has to offer doesn't even come close to what you are describing!!!! You are so right, we'll just have to come up more often! ha ;)
charity said…
I honestly have to tell you after a few moments of reading I forgot it was you talking and thought is was your mom, maybe because I never make it out the door to dine anywhere! love the reviews...and I agree, it makes me want to take a road trip just to experience it all, I'm glad you are getting to! it also makes me wonder where people here eat and what is good...I guess that is what a paper has a food section for, so you have some idea...but it seems those little places you stumble upon are so much better!

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...