1. Brine your turkey. Last year I soaked my turkey over night in a brine. This year I used a salt rub. Both were really good. The rub meant I didn't have to fit a turkey in a huge pot of brine in my fridge.
2. Roast your turkey upside down. The breast doesn't get as brown but it keeps the meat moister. I cooked mine for 1 hour right side up and then flipped it. It is really hard to flip a hot 20 lb. turkey, by the way.
3. Use a meat thermometer. The turkey bag said I should plan on 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours to cook my turkey. Luckily I had a thermometer in the turkey and so I didn't over cook it. The turkey cooked in 3 1/2 hours.
4. Fresh cranberry sauce is the best. Here's what I used this year- and last year.
5. Taste the gravy as you go. My salt rubbed turkey made for really salty gravy. I just made a whole lot of gravy and under salted the potatoes.
6. A good tasting pie crust is better than a pretty pie crust. If only I had paid attention in my youth when my mom tried to teach me to make pie crust. Now I am old and still learning. I think I have the taste part down, it's just the aesthetics I am still working on.
7. Rhodes Bake & Serve are really a time saver- and good.
8. Mashed potatoes can be fancy- This year we made half cauliflower, half potatoes. We also really like half potatoes, half celery root. Also, buy a potato ricer. You will never want whipped potatoes again.
9. My mom makes the best stuffing. She makes it with a mixture of half corn bread, half white bread. Maybe tomorrow I will post the recipe.
2. Roast your turkey upside down. The breast doesn't get as brown but it keeps the meat moister. I cooked mine for 1 hour right side up and then flipped it. It is really hard to flip a hot 20 lb. turkey, by the way.
3. Use a meat thermometer. The turkey bag said I should plan on 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours to cook my turkey. Luckily I had a thermometer in the turkey and so I didn't over cook it. The turkey cooked in 3 1/2 hours.
4. Fresh cranberry sauce is the best. Here's what I used this year- and last year.
5. Taste the gravy as you go. My salt rubbed turkey made for really salty gravy. I just made a whole lot of gravy and under salted the potatoes.
6. A good tasting pie crust is better than a pretty pie crust. If only I had paid attention in my youth when my mom tried to teach me to make pie crust. Now I am old and still learning. I think I have the taste part down, it's just the aesthetics I am still working on.
7. Rhodes Bake & Serve are really a time saver- and good.
8. Mashed potatoes can be fancy- This year we made half cauliflower, half potatoes. We also really like half potatoes, half celery root. Also, buy a potato ricer. You will never want whipped potatoes again.
9. My mom makes the best stuffing. She makes it with a mixture of half corn bread, half white bread. Maybe tomorrow I will post the recipe.
Comments
My dirty secret this year was Pillsbury pie crusts. Don't tell my Mom! They turn out beautifully and I don't end up crying over them, which is always good. :)