Skip to main content

Do not read this post

Seriously. Turn away. I am only posting this because I am hopeless at journal writing and I want to remember this story later on. No one wants to read about other people's children vomiting. Much less read about it twice in a row. So go away. You have been warned.

When one kid gets the stomach flu everyone knows the other kid (or kids) will get it too. It's like 95% guaranteed, right? I knew it was coming but I didn't know how violently it would arrive. Ken and I went to dinner last night with some friends and the kids ate dinner with the babysitter. I am not sure how many blueberries Dylan ate because I wasn't there but my guess is somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2 lb. Around Midnight the fun began. And I say fun because I really laughed quite a bit through the first stage. Dylan came in crying and Ken got out of bed, once again I was out cold and really disoriented when summoned from bed to behold the newest wonder of the world: wall to wall blueberry vomit. I was so impressed that I almost got my camera to take a picture! But no one wants to see a picture of that. Even when it's mind blowingly impressive and purple. You need to know that Dylan has a loft bed and so in the CSI recreation the source point will be about 7 feet off the floor. The inaugural vomit covered his bed and blankets admirably. Here's something else about Dylan- he sleeps with as much stuff crammed in to his bed as possible. We excavated 3 blankets, his pillow, sheet, mattress cover, 5-10 stuffed animals, 10 or more books, Lego catalogs which were shedding pages, an mp3 player with no battery, headphones, empty water bottles- all affected by the blast. His vomiting after shocks were aimed out of his bed and I am having a hard time figuring out the trajectory unless he stood up in his bed and his head spun around and around. Is there any other way to hit two opposing walls, the underside of the rungs on his bed ladder and underneath his desk (the desk is directly under the loft bed)? We were convinced that the carpet was lost. Our initial attempt to scrub it with the cleaning solution from my defunct Bissel carpet cleaner was a bust. All that we accomplished was smearing purple on the tiny patches of beige carpet that peeked through. But then I remembered I had a 3/4 full bottle of Spot Shot carpet cleaner and I started scrubbing with that. Holy Cow! It took about an hour and the entire bottle of Spot Shot but I think we got about 90% or more of the purple out! I am sure there are spots we won't even discover until later this year, but what we saw we vanquished! I am considering writing Spot Shot with my story!

So the rest of the night was predictable. He slept on the lounge chair next to the bathroom, barfed every hour or so and neither of us got much sleep. But here's the nice part- since he's 7, not 3, he can get himself to the bathroom and aim into the commode and then flush, wipe himself up and climb back in bed. I still got up with him because no kid wants to puke alone. But all I did was rub his back and tell him how sorry I felt for him.

Caitlin is chipper as can be today so I am sure Dylan will be back on his feet in no time, but for the next few days stay away from the Jennings!

Comments

Miranda said…
Wow. I'm sorry!
kkerr said…
Rough times at the Jennings. Poor little kids. I hope you and Ken don't end up with the bug.
HeatherWasHere said…
I could read your vomit posts for days. Just like I've been doing. It's entertainment when it's not being cleaned up by you.

Blueberries. Classic.
myrna said…
That reminds me of a few projectile vomiting stories from our house! I do not envy you those crazy cleanups! But wow, I'm going to go find a bottle Shot Spot! What a testimonial ;) Hope both kids are better now and that the Parental Units don't have to catch the bug!
Ken said…
Live together, puke alone.
Christy said…
Mindy- No worries! I ALWAYS love a good pukey story. Hope you didn't get it next....
gwyn said…
Gah! I couldn't help but read it despite your warning. How terrible - I hope it's all behind you by now.

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...