Skip to main content

Restaurant Review: Long Provincial

My sister is in town for a visit. We love to have family visit and we especially love to take guests to restaurants. It's quite selfish of us, really. When there are more people eating you need to order more food. That means we get to try more items on the menu. About a month ago we tried a Vietnamese restaurant called Long Provincial. We had already been won over by Long's sister restaurant Tamarind Tree. So with my sister's visit we were excited to make our second trip to Long and wade further into their very extensive menu. While the food was just as delicious and satisfying the second time around, the overall experience in the restaurant was a bit surreal- good blog fodder.

The host seemed very confused when I insisted that my reservation was for 3 and not 2. I had called only a few hours before. "A table for 3," I said. "Three?" "Yes, three." "Three?" "Right." So I don't really see how that got written down as 2. But, not a big deal. They offered us a "cozy, warm" table down in the Jelly Bar- it's where the bar is, and also where the jellyfish tank is. I said "That's sounds great. We'd love to see the jellyfish." He replied that there were currently no jellyfish. Ah, well, it's cozy and warm so we accepted the table. We walked across their beautiful restaurant to the steps leading down to the bar area. Suddenly it was too dark, with swimming pool tile floors and the scent of a urinal. Our table was in the corner with a lovely view of the empty jellyfish tank. It did not have that strong of an odor, so I let it go and we sat down. However, no sooner had we settled in our seats than we were asked to move so that the d.j. could set up in that corner. We were moved to the table closest to the urinal smell. Also right in the draft from a hidden door. To add to the ambiance, our fellow diners were a loud homeless man, and a drunk, shimmying transvestite.

I thought this warranted another move. Although our server said he was pretty sure the dining room was closed for the evening (it was 9:45 on a Friday night, after all!) he did manage to find us a table. Now that I think of it, our terrible table service probably was some sort of protest to us being moved there after the floor was closed. We sat with no food for a really long time, got no water refills and then had all of our food appear at the same moment. Hmmmm...

This really is more a review of the service rather than of the food. The food was spectacular and I will brave the service in the future so that I can eat the braised pork and coconut again. But I will show up before 9:30 so that I don't have to go to the Jelly Bar again! Oh, I almost forgot. We did ask our intermittent server what happened to the jellyfish. I thought maybe it was like the lobsters at Red Lobster and they had all been cooked to order. He told us, "When the take was tank was made they misdesigned it wrong, so it wasn't suitable for jellyfish." So there you have it. Eat at Long. But expect a little quirkiness on the side. And no jellyfish.

Comments

myrna said…
I'd be more than willing to give it a try. And besides, how often do you get such great blog entries surrounding an evening at a restaurant? You should thank them!
it's nights like those that make you really have to love the food to make you want to go back. we have a few of those places...we call them our "closet" restaurants...the ones we go to because we MUST have the food, but we normally don't tell our friends or family about them :)
The Fam! said…
Hey Jennings family, So I'm making my family blog private, so email me YOUR email address @ marie84107@yahoo.com so I can add you to the VIP list of people that get to see my blog! Thanks, Marie Olsen
Ken said…
About the jellyfish tank: I think he said they "misdesigned it properly" which is even better.
gwyn said…
"Misdesigned" was a direct quote? That is awesome. I'm always torn when the food is delish but the service is awful (like our local Indian place.) But braised pork with coconut sounds worth it.
Ken said…
Actually, I now think he said "designed it misproperly." Either way, it was awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...