We did not eat bugs of any kind on this trip. There were plenty to be had. In Cambodia Ken saw two little kids wandering a market, selling food to the vendors. One kid had a tray of- I don't know what. Something normal. The other kid had a big tray of beetles. Guess what people were eating?
Oh, in case you can't see- this man is selling grasshoppers.

It's amazing to me how fake these pig heads look to me. It's too uniform in color, I think. It reminds me of a picture from a comic book, or something. Rest assured, I do not feel the need to try crazy things just because I am experiencing a new culture. (Alright, I did eat the black eggs- as you will see in a future post- but those were so clearly a familiar food, just in a strange color.) We did not eat any pig head.

Oh, now we're talking. This place was so tasty. It was recommended by a friend and the walls of this tiny restaurant were covered in news clippings from several different countries - all with the highest praises for the food.
Here we have giant prawns with garlic and black pepper.

This is the banana flower salad- no bananas in the salad. Just the flowers and to be honest I was not quite sure what the flowers were. This was not salad-y in my opinion. It was sort of saucy. But I am not complaining. It was really delicious.

This is the Mee Krob. This was possibly my favorite thing that we ate on the whole trip. We actually went back to this restaurant before leaving the country so that we could order it again.

p.s. I have no idea if the recipes I linked to are any good, or really even all that close to what I ate. I include them for academic reasons- I had no way of knowing how those dishes were made, but these give me at least a basic idea of what was happening on my plate.
Oh, in case you can't see- this man is selling grasshoppers.

It's amazing to me how fake these pig heads look to me. It's too uniform in color, I think. It reminds me of a picture from a comic book, or something. Rest assured, I do not feel the need to try crazy things just because I am experiencing a new culture. (Alright, I did eat the black eggs- as you will see in a future post- but those were so clearly a familiar food, just in a strange color.) We did not eat any pig head.
Oh, now we're talking. This place was so tasty. It was recommended by a friend and the walls of this tiny restaurant were covered in news clippings from several different countries - all with the highest praises for the food.
Here we have giant prawns with garlic and black pepper.

This is the banana flower salad- no bananas in the salad. Just the flowers and to be honest I was not quite sure what the flowers were. This was not salad-y in my opinion. It was sort of saucy. But I am not complaining. It was really delicious.

This is the Mee Krob. This was possibly my favorite thing that we ate on the whole trip. We actually went back to this restaurant before leaving the country so that we could order it again.
p.s. I have no idea if the recipes I linked to are any good, or really even all that close to what I ate. I include them for academic reasons- I had no way of knowing how those dishes were made, but these give me at least a basic idea of what was happening on my plate.
Comments