Skip to main content

Worst house guests ever! Again!

Just to show that we don't play favorites, we are now officially the worst house guests Ken's brother and wife have ever had. We sold ourselves as low maintenance house guest with kids who sleep really well. If we hit you up for a place to stay, tell us no! Here's why:

4:00 am I hear Caitlin start fussing and go up to the room that she and Dylan are sharing. I get her out of bed and change her diaper, give her back her binky and put her back in her bed. Dylan sort of wakes, but I tell him to go to sleep, he says "OK" and rolls over. I go back to bed but can't get back to sleep.

4:45 am I hear Caitlin banging around in her crib. Not wanting her to wake up Dylan, I go up to see if I can get her quickly back to sleep. She is jumping up and down in her bed. I get her out of the room and take her to the family room to rock her. She climbs all over me for about 20 minutes. Then I notice she had a smelly diaper.

5:10 am Hoping that a clean diaper is all she needs, I change her and put her back in bed. I go back to the family room and lay down on the couch, not wanting to wake Ken if he's managed to get back to sleep.

5:25 am Dylan comes out of the room, crying (and waking Caitlin) because he's had an accident. So now I have a crying baby and a soggy, crying boy. I give Dylan whatever dry clothing I can find and shove him out of the room. I give Caitlin her binky and hope she'll go to sleep. Dylan is down in the family room but doesn't want to sleep on the couch because it is unfamiliar. I tell him I will stay with him. He closes his eyes and so do I.

5:45 am Caitlin starts to cry. I go into her room and try to get her back to sleep, I push aside the soggy blankets and try to sleep on the floor. I can hear Caitlin relax and just start to slip into sleep...

6:00 am Dylan notices I am not downstairs and comes in search of me, calling out "MOM!" right outside the door where Caitlin is now awake, and crying. I pull him into the room, close the door and order him to lay down and be QUIET! He does, but unfortunately, he starts coughing and can't stop. Every time Caitlin starts to quiet down, he coughs and she starts to cry. I tell him, as nicely as I can manage, to please wait in the hall until I can get Caitlin to stop crying. He goes out, Caitlin sort of stops crying. That will have to do for now. She cries two more times and is quiet.

6:30 am I give Dylan some cold medication and tuck him in on the couch. He coughs for about 15 more minutes, then the medication kicks in and he slips off to sleep. So do I....almost. By now the sun is starting to come up.

6:55 am Caitlin starts to cry. I go in to her room and she is wide awake and bright eyed. I get her out of bed and we play as quietly as I can. She starts to look a little droopy, so I make her a bottle and feed her in the living room.

7:45 am I put her back to bed and she seems to have gone to sleep. Or not. A few minutes later I hear her squawk but she's not really awake. I am and the rest of the house probably is, but she's not.

7:55 am Dylan wakes up for good.

8:20 am Caitlin wakes up for good.


Like I said, if we EVER ask if we can stay with you, say NO!

Comments

Sean and Laura said…
This is hysterical. I am sure not to you, but I love it. We had a similar night about 2 months ago while guests at a friend's lake house. Long and short: emma ended up sleeping on blankets in the BATHROOM. That makes me both a terrible house guest and a terrible mother. Hmm . . .

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...