Skip to main content

Notes from my weekend (in no particular order)

I was making chicken stock this afternoon in the kitchen. Ken had just brought Caitlin down from her nap. (We knew she was awake because we could hear her banging on the wall. She wasn't unhappy- she appeared to be quite taken with her new hobby.) Caitlin was crawling around, pulling herself up on the console table in the entry way and in all other ways being cute and mobile. I turned to wash out some dishes and when I looked back Caitlin was on the 4th step up of our front stairs. "How on earth did she get there?" you ask. Very good question! Two days ago she pulled herself right out of her exersaucer. She hung with her feet up on the tray for a second as Ken watched in amazement and then she dropped her feet down, and crawled away. Which one of you taught her to do these things while her parents weren't looking? She also learned to say mama, but she doesn't seem to be saying it to mean me. It has just entered her noise repertoire.

Dylan started prechool on Friday. (That's sort of part of my weekend) He was very nervous in the car on the way there but once we got in the room, he was right in the middle of every project and activity.

Also from this weekend: a 7 hour hike on Mt Index. That's right. 7 hours. Did we mean to go on a 7 hour hike? No. Were we mentally and physically prepared to take 2 small children on a 7 hour hike? No. Did we survive? Sort of. Dylan and Caitlin both deserve trophies for being the greatest kids ever. Dylan walked all but the last 1/2 hour and Caitlin took 2 naps in the baby carrier. Ken's knees almost gave out and my toes were killing me. But, on the plus side, at the top of the trail we saw Lake Serene, which has such clear water you can see the bottom. Also there were glaciers up there and so Dylan got to see snow in the summer. And we had our lunch on Lunch Rock. I have pictures, I just don't know how to download them. But you already knew that!

Tonight Ken is taking me to a new restaurant and a movie. Dylan is happy to be rid of us for the evening so his favorite sitters can come over. I better remember to warn them about Caitlin and the stairs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...