I bought a costco sized container of crumbled feta. I have been on a bit of a feta binge lately and so I didn't even feel foolish buying it in bulk quantities. I eat spinach and strawberry salad with feta, apples and spinach salad with feta, feta on crackers- basically I am just looking for an excuse to eat feta.
So tonight I made a feta and roasted butternut squash salad that I ate at Vios- a Jennings family favorite local restaurant. If you've stayed with me and you have kids chances are pretty good we've eaten there together. They are a Greek/Mediterranean restaurant with delicious food- including lots of yummy dips and side salads to order. After eating this particular salad there for the millionth time I decided to try to replicate it at home. This is something I attempt frequently, but not with much success. However, I think I am on to something with this salad. I just ate my version of it tonight for dinner and I liked it so much I thought I would share. It's sweet- butternut squash, apples and red onion all roasted until soft and slightly browned in olive oil and dressed with orange juice, honey and thyme. Then it's salty- you know- from the salt. Also from the feta. It makes a great side for a wide range of main dishes, and it's also pretty great on its own for lunch.
So here's my knock-off Roasted Butternut Squash with Feta
1 butternut squash
2 apples (granny smith or similar)
1 large-ish red onion
olive oil
fresh thyme
1 orange, juiced
a few tbs honey
feta, crumbled
Peel and cube butternut squash, core and cube apple, cut onion into medium chunks. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 ish minutes. You want the squash to be browned. Make dressing- mix o.j. with honey and add the thyme leaves. You can heat the mixture to reduce it down and make it a little syrupy but it's not necessary. When everything has cooled mix the squash with the dressing and add crumbled feta (as much as looks good to you.) Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
So tonight I made a feta and roasted butternut squash salad that I ate at Vios- a Jennings family favorite local restaurant. If you've stayed with me and you have kids chances are pretty good we've eaten there together. They are a Greek/Mediterranean restaurant with delicious food- including lots of yummy dips and side salads to order. After eating this particular salad there for the millionth time I decided to try to replicate it at home. This is something I attempt frequently, but not with much success. However, I think I am on to something with this salad. I just ate my version of it tonight for dinner and I liked it so much I thought I would share. It's sweet- butternut squash, apples and red onion all roasted until soft and slightly browned in olive oil and dressed with orange juice, honey and thyme. Then it's salty- you know- from the salt. Also from the feta. It makes a great side for a wide range of main dishes, and it's also pretty great on its own for lunch.
So here's my knock-off Roasted Butternut Squash with Feta
1 butternut squash
2 apples (granny smith or similar)
1 large-ish red onion
olive oil
fresh thyme
1 orange, juiced
a few tbs honey
feta, crumbled
Peel and cube butternut squash, core and cube apple, cut onion into medium chunks. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 ish minutes. You want the squash to be browned. Make dressing- mix o.j. with honey and add the thyme leaves. You can heat the mixture to reduce it down and make it a little syrupy but it's not necessary. When everything has cooled mix the squash with the dressing and add crumbled feta (as much as looks good to you.) Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
Comments