Skip to main content

Nothing revolutionary

Years ago Ken and I were invited to dinner and the family put out a baked brie for snacking on while socializing until the meal was ready. That was my first baked brie and I have thought about it with frightening frequency ever since. Now I am under no illusion that baked brie is new or innovative or even particularly fancy. To test my theory that baked brie was probably a food yokels thought of as classy I did some internet searching to see where the recipes were to be found. Paula Deen, Sandra Lee and Rachel Ray all have baked brie recipes. Sort of proves my point right there.

However, I am here to state for the record- so what? I still love it and I am going to tell you right now that I made one last night and there's some left over in my fridge and it's taking all of my will power to not eat it. So if you're having people over and you want something delicious and not at all healthy make a baked brie. Some of your more hoity toity friends might sneer but who cares? It's brie and puff pastry, for heaven sake! You will be too busy eating to notice any sneers.

Here's the basic idea: buy some brie. This can range from an affordable $6 Le President wheel from Costco to something much more expensive from your go to fancy cheese store. Buy puff pastry in the frozen food section of your grocery store. You want some kind of jam to go with it. I like Bonne Maman apricot or fig. You can also add pecans or almonds.

Thaw the puff pastry on the counter. You may only need one sheet but chances are you'll need more- a wheel of brie is usually pretty big. You can split the brie in half, making two thinner circles and fill the middle with nuts and brown sugar or just leave it whole. Spread jam on in the center of the puff pastry. Don't be stingy. Place the brie on top and wrap the pastry around the brie. If the pastry is too small cut a circle out of the second sheet of puff pastry, sealing the edges. Flip the brie over and bake at 350 degrees until the puff pastry is golden brown. Mine took about 25 minutes with a little broiler time at the end.  Keep an eye on it! Let it stand for a few minutes before cutting in to it. Serve with crackers and fruit- like apples and grapes.

Comments

Julie said…
Now I'm worried what my hoity toity friends think of my brick of cream cheese topped with chili sauce... ;)
Christy said…
Never had it. Never seen it. SOUNDS WONDERFUL!!!
Ken said…
You should've posted a picture.

Here's what Mindy isn't telling you, everyone: she cut little autumn leaves out of pastry and put them on top of the puff pastry shell! Total overachiever.

Of course, it's February not autumn, but A for effort.
this is great! i saw it in a recipe and ran to the store and got everything to make some...served it all fancy with crackers, to which my children took one bite and informed me that "this must be grown up food...because we KIDS sure don't like it!" my hubby nibbled it for a few days, and i threw the rest out!!! so sad!

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...