My trip to New York wasn't all loud construction noises waking me too early. It was also full of visits with friends from my past. Monday morning Ken called me during a break in interviews and asked where I was. "Connecticut." I replied. "Is that where you meant to end up?" He asked, slightly worried. He was afraid maybe I thought I was heading for Chinatown and took the wrong train. "HA!" I answered. "I am visiting Laura today." My long time friend and college room mate, Laura, invited me to spend the morning with her. I got to see her home, her kids and her crazy carpooling routine- that part was oddly familiar to my own. Alas, Laura and I forgot to take a picture together. Granted, it might have been difficult to get her 3 month old to take it for us.
Tuesday I met up with the lovely ladies pictured above. Rupal, Uzma and I go all the way back to 10th grade. Actually, the two of them go back way farther than that but I like to think that they were all just hanging around, not doing much until I showed up in the early '90s and got things going. I love getting together with them, mainly because they look exactly the same as they did in high school so when I am with them I assume I do to- as long as we don't walk past a mirror the illusion is totally sustainable!
Wednesday I headed to New Jersey to see Uzma's family. Also I wanted to give Ken another heart attack. "Help! I somehow got out to Jersey and I don't know how to get back!" Ken gave me strict instructions not to eat any of Uzma's mom's delicious food with out him so I guess another trip needs to be in my near future. I spent most of 10th, 11th and 12th grades at their apartment, eating their food. It was awesome to see some of the old familiar furniture and wall hangings transported across time and space waiting for me to visit.
Thursday we headed home to our kids. They tell me at least once a day that my mom is much nicer and they want me to go back to New York so that she will take care of them again. I think that could be arranged!
Comments