Skip to main content

Preparation means nothing

I went armed with snacks, toys, an mp3 player loaded with wiggles songs, AND a portable DVD player. I had been warned that the first visit to the allergist could last a few hours. Dylan and Caitlin were not interested in any of my distractions. And just when I most needed them quiet (so I could actually talk to the Dr.) they went ballistic. The low point for me was when Caitlin dumped crackers all over the ground, smashed them to crumbs and then said "Clean it up, mom!"

To complicate things further, the Dr. talked himself in circles. At one point there was a long digression about scholarships to the Coast Guard being denied to anyone with asthma anywhere in their medical history and then something about free airfare to Disney World vs. the risks of cosmic radiation. Also some cryptic comments about anti-biotic related deaths. All I wanted to know is if Dylan has been sniffing and coughing for 6 months because of dust allergies.

After 3+ hours in a tiny exam room we emerged, both children inches away from being gifted to grandparents, with a few answers. Dylan is conclusively allergic to cats and dogs. That is it. Everything else the Dr. said is pure speculation. He is convinced that Dylan is having no allergic reactions to Banjo but rather has had sinusitis since December. He thinks the occasional wheezing is actually mild (whisper) asthma (Don't tell the Coast Guard!!!!). So now we have a meter to check his lung capacity, 20 days of antibiotics and a little science experiment to see if Dylan will get better by next month or if allergy medications are a new constant in his life until the dog kicks the bucket.

Oh, and the one thing that actually kept the kids quiet for the longest? The Dr. gave them both cherry flavored tongue depressors. That was a solid 7 minutes of silence!

Comments

Zach and Sarah said…
I have been there, my friend. Except my kids aren't allergic to anything and they've all grown out of asthmatic symptoms (I won't tell if you don't). But I've been there and I empathize. Next time bring Caitlyn down here and I'll watch her for you:-)
myrna said…
All I can say is that I am SO sorry! I wish I lived closer so I could tend one Munchkin while you took the other one to be poked and prodded! I just have to laugh at your description of the event though ;) I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time. Oh the doctor and the Coast Guard bit was just too funny! See you in a few hours.
that's great! gotta love doctors...from one mom to another...take him off dairy a while...it tends to flare up asthma...it may be just enough to take the edge off and no more sniffles. not an easy feat but worth it if it works :) just take him off of straight dairy for a while and see...like a week or two. yoghurt and stuff should still be okay..straight milk though may be playing a role. good luck :) and i wouldn't worry about the coast guard...i thought your little man was in line for jedi master work later in life :)
Sandy said…
I love the "clean it up mom" comment. Those are the times when I have to take a deep breath and remember that I'm in public...mom mantras start going through my head...There is purpose in what I am doing, there is purpose in what I am doing...

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...