Skip to main content

Kindergarten

The long anticipated day arrived! Dylan started kindergarten on Tuesday. He woke up early and got himself all dressed and ready. His huge smile is only partly enthusiasm for school. It is mostly because he saved up enough money to buy a new webkinz stuffed animal and I took him to buy it before school started. Thank you, 9:20 start time!Here he is in front of his school. The smile is a little smaller...
We made it into the classroom and the smile gets a little smaller...
He took his spot on the rug and the smile disappeared, but he walked right over and sat down. There wasn't any hesitation.
I called his name to wave goodbye...
At this point I knew he was a little nervous but just fine. I was fine too. It wasn't too much different from taking him to preschool or summer day camp. There was a mom drying her eyes as I walked out but it wasn't until day 2 when he drove away on the bus (more about that later) that I shed a few tears. When I came back to pick him up at the end of the day he was all smiles:
He's standing on the Earth with his name on it. His favorite things about school: Three recesses! Lunch in the cafeteria- there's even hot lunch! A big playground for sunny days and a sheltered playground for rainy days (welcome to Seattle!) Music on Tuesdays, P.E. on Wednesdays, and Library on Thursday. School is a big hit.

On his second day I put him on the school bus. I wanted to take a picture but we missed the bus Wednesday morning and so I followed the bus and frantically ran to make sure he got on at the next stop and in the hurry I didn't get a picture. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a picture. He loves to ride the bus and it is sweet to see his little smiling face in the window as he waves goodbye to me.

Comments

Michelle S. said…
Happy Kindergarten, Dylan! Barrett started today. I am now the only child home at our house. Heaven!
FoxyJ said…
Congrats on kindergarten! S-Boogie started last week, but it's sort of anti-climatic because she only goes three hours a day and they have the same curriculum she used in preschool. Blah. By the way, she keeps asking when we'll go to Seattle and see our friends :)
myrna said…
I love it! What an enthusiastic guy! He is ready to take on the world, so it is fitting that the teacher used the World for name stickers! You will love going through this year with him ;) Hang in there, Mom! and what a fun thing for Caitlin to get her alone time with Mom & Dad. woohoo!
Julie said…
He looks so grown up! I hope he has a fantastic year. I have been loving having the mornings to spend with just Bella. She is sad for a minute when we take Ben and Sophie to school, but then we get home and do puzzles or color together, and she loves it.
gwyn said…
I love the shiny new jeans and the well combed hair! He looks so big. I can also relate to the dwindling smile - Eve did the same thing - but he looked so happy a the end of the day and that's what counts. Hope the bus is going more smoothly. It always makes me choke up, too. Why are those bus stairs so huge?! It makes the kids seem even smaller.

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...