Can it be a blog reboot if really it's going to be just like it was before only I try to post more often? I should give it a new look, only I don't really know how. That can be my first blog goal for 2014. Figure out how to get a new look for the blog. Goal #2: Don't let this blog post languish all alone. Nothing is sadder than all those entries in my journals that start "Wow! It sure has been a long time since I wrote in my journal! But I'm going to write in here all the time from now on!" At least those entries are hidden inside a book inside a side table drawer next to my bed. This poor little entry will be sitting here on the blog with no other 2014 posts to keep it company.
I can't realistically fill in all that I missed by not posting much last year. Here's the lowdown on the winter holidays: We got a new puppy! His name is Chance. He's a poodle/cavalier mix.
After Banjo died in November we thought we might wait a while to get a new dog and we also planned on getting a dog that was around a year old. I found myself looking for a dog with an obsessive fever beyond my control. I was checking classifieds and craigslist multiple times a day, telling myself I was just getting a feel for what was out there. Dylan and Caitlin were agitating for a new dog right away. Ken and I talked about the possibility of surprising the kids Christmas morning with a dog gift wrapped. We quickly dismissed the idea, recognizing how nearly impossible it would be to find the right dog at the right time, get someone to keep it at their house leading up to Christmas, and have a box for the kids to open with a dog waiting quietly inside.
I can't realistically fill in all that I missed by not posting much last year. Here's the lowdown on the winter holidays: We got a new puppy! His name is Chance. He's a poodle/cavalier mix.
After Banjo died in November we thought we might wait a while to get a new dog and we also planned on getting a dog that was around a year old. I found myself looking for a dog with an obsessive fever beyond my control. I was checking classifieds and craigslist multiple times a day, telling myself I was just getting a feel for what was out there. Dylan and Caitlin were agitating for a new dog right away. Ken and I talked about the possibility of surprising the kids Christmas morning with a dog gift wrapped. We quickly dismissed the idea, recognizing how nearly impossible it would be to find the right dog at the right time, get someone to keep it at their house leading up to Christmas, and have a box for the kids to open with a dog waiting quietly inside.
When I saw the listing for this puppy I knew I would have to find a way to make it all work. I contacted the owner, decided the price was too high, the distance to pick him up was too far, felt bummed and decided that it really was best to wait a while for a new dog. Caitlin got really sick and then I got really sock shortly after her. I actually stopped looking online at dogs for a few days. I assumed this puppy was long sold and put him out of my mind. At least 2 weeks passed and I saw him listed again and with the price lowered. I took it as a sign that I was meant to have this particular dog. I arranged with the owner to pick him up 30 minutes away instead of 6 hours round trip away. I tricked my good friend into keeping Chance for 4 days, I bought a big box and poked holes in the bottom. We kept him in a kennel in our basement Christmas Eve and somehow the kids didn't hear any noises. Christmas morning I put him into the box, took him to the kids and they opened him right up. He sat quietly in the box until it was opened. The kids were so happy!
He's such a cute little guy. He's not too naughty but he's sure a mischievous little thing on occasion. We're working hard on house training and not biting. He's ridiculously cute chasing a toy around. He leaps like a little goat. Welcome to the family Chance! If you promise to quit peeing on my floors I promise to protect you from the over eager affection from my children. Do we have a deal?
Comments
Glad I'm not the only one with the same journal first line entry every time.