It was a really fun day! We made our now yearly boating trip with our niece E. (who is filling in for Caitlin this week. Caitlin is staying at E.'s house, swimming, bouncing, eating Slushees and playing with cats). Our boating got off to an exciting start: the kids climbed in the boat, followed by Ken and then the boat capsized! We were still right by the dock when it happened. Dylan still had his shoes on, E. still had her street clothes on over her swimming suit. When the boat was turned back over, drained, and the kids were back inside Dylan said to E. "Were you scared that you were going to die?" She gave him a funny look and said "Well, I could see the bottom so I knew the water wasn't very deep, we were right next to the dock, I know how to swim, and I was wearing a life vest, so no. I did not think I was going to die." Other than the distinct possibility that Ken's phone might not make it, everyone thought the inadvertent dunking was actually a nice way to cool off!
The kids were pretty good rowers! In the past I have been amazed at how hard it is to get a group of people to row a boat in any organized kind of way. We tend to spend quite a bit of time rowing in circles. It can be tricky to gauge when to stop trying to turn. So about half way through our time in the boat we kind of came up with a system. Since I could see out the front I would call out "on the left" or "on the right" or "all together". The only problem with that method was when I mixed up right and left. I know, I'm some kind of genius!
Here the kids are swimming intentionally in the lake. They loved it so much it was hard to convince them to get back in the boat!
Dylan swam to a clump of lily pads and picked me this flower. He loved the smell of it so much that he kind of co-opted it to smell on the way back to the car.
After boating we stopped by a local frozen custard shop to cool off and now the kids are camping out in the back yard.
I love summer!
Comments