Every year I have great aspirations for all of the holiday baking I am going to do. And every year I end up eeking out one or two things and giving them to one or two people. This year I have resolved to keep it simple. I am making caramel corn. I will make as much as I can with what I have on hand, I will give that away, and then I will stop thinking about it. Here's the recipe:
Caramel-Nut Popcorn
from William-Sonoma Holiday Favorites
3 c freshly popped popcorn
1 c unsalted roasted cashews
1 c salted roasted macadamia nuts
1 c whole almonds or pecan halves
1 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 c unsalted butter
1 T finely grated orange zest
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t baking soda
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease a large roasting pan. Combine the popped corn and the nuts in the prepared pan, mixing well. Place in the oven as it heats while you prepare the glaze.
In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, orange zest and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Boil 4 minutes without stirring. Remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla and baking soda. Gradually pour the glaze over the popped corn mixture, stirring well to coat.
Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven. Using a metal spatula, free the popcorn from the bottom of the pan. Let cool completely in the pan.
Break into clumps. Serve immediately or store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
I first made this recipe when we lived in Murray. I remember one batch that I forgot about until the billowing smoke from the oven reminded me that I still have one last batch of popcorn in there. Oops! It's a little pricey, what with the macadamias and cashews and all so after that burned batch I sort stopped making it for a while. But I am bringing it back, baby! If you're too far away for me to make some for you, make yourself a batch, write "Merry Christmas! Love, Mindy" on a card, place the card and the popcorn on the kitchen counter and let everyone believe that I sent it to you!
Caramel-Nut Popcorn
from William-Sonoma Holiday Favorites
3 c freshly popped popcorn
1 c unsalted roasted cashews
1 c salted roasted macadamia nuts
1 c whole almonds or pecan halves
1 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 c unsalted butter
1 T finely grated orange zest
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t baking soda
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease a large roasting pan. Combine the popped corn and the nuts in the prepared pan, mixing well. Place in the oven as it heats while you prepare the glaze.
In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, orange zest and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Boil 4 minutes without stirring. Remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla and baking soda. Gradually pour the glaze over the popped corn mixture, stirring well to coat.
Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven. Using a metal spatula, free the popcorn from the bottom of the pan. Let cool completely in the pan.
Break into clumps. Serve immediately or store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
I first made this recipe when we lived in Murray. I remember one batch that I forgot about until the billowing smoke from the oven reminded me that I still have one last batch of popcorn in there. Oops! It's a little pricey, what with the macadamias and cashews and all so after that burned batch I sort stopped making it for a while. But I am bringing it back, baby! If you're too far away for me to make some for you, make yourself a batch, write "Merry Christmas! Love, Mindy" on a card, place the card and the popcorn on the kitchen counter and let everyone believe that I sent it to you!
Comments