Skip to main content

No manners!

Yesterday we took the kids for a picnic at a park. After a little play time at the playground we found a bench with a view of the lake and had our picnic. About half way through I turned my head to the right and there was a squirrel sitting right next to me! It was eating Caitlin's grapes right out of our Tupperware. I was very startled and let out a scream. To my amazement, the squirrel was not at all scared by me jumping up and screaming. It just sat there. I had nothing but food to throw and since I didn't want my actions to be interpreted as sharing food, I waved my hands and yelled at it. It hopped down and sat at the bottom of the bench, waiting for me to turn my back again. Ken squirted it with a water bottle and it ran a short distance away but still didn't give up! I have never seen such fearlessness in a rodent before. Our fight with the squirrel attracted the attention of a passing Great Dane and her owner. The squirrel sat just feet from the bench, intent on getting back to the food. The Dane sat at the end of her leash, watching the squirrel with great intensity. The owner let the dog go and it chased the squirrel up a tree. We all laughed (except Dylan who was horrified that the dog was going to catch the squirrel) and we went back to our dinner. About 5 minutes later a squirrel (either that same one or it's rude cousin) reappeared, provoking more water bottle squirting and hand waving (and whines from Dylan, still worried over it's safety). Another dog came to our rescue. The squirrel once again headed for a tree, giving us a few minutes to finish our picnic in peace.

Comments

myrna said…
Squirrels are cute from a distance ;) I can understand Dylan being concerned though. He isn't thinking about rabies and other awful diseases, he just thinks they are cute. Glad you were rescued by Fang and his cousin, the two ferocious dogs.
Julie said…
I wonder if there is a distant relation to Chippy, the Canadian garden-ravaging chipmunk? LOL!
Unknown said…
If I need a good laugh I come visit your blog! You guys crack me up! I needed a laugh today... My baby started Kindergarten today!!!!
Ryan said…
That wasn't a squirrel, it was an animagus. They gotta eat, too. :)

Popular posts from this blog

10 years today

Dylan made me these hearts as an anniversary gift. Sweet, huh? Ten years ago I was newly graduated from college, in love and ready to get married! Well, technically I was freaking out about getting married, which probably made Ken feel super good. Most of you know this story and the rest of you probably don't care, but it's my blog, so ppppthhhht! Ken lived across the street from me during our last year of college (but curiously, we were 24 and 25. Oh, how I love BYU). He and his room mate spent many evenings, and when I say evenings I really mean late at night, in my living room talking to my room mates, Laura and Cheryl (hi guys!). I would emerge from my basement lair, tell them to pipe down and then retreat for my beauty sleep and morning classes. Ken would hang out then go home, watch a movie, go jogging at 3 am and then sleep until noon. Somewhere in there I assume he also studied a bit but maybe not. He probably just showed up and dazzled his professors with his ...

A few projects

I made this pair of puppies from this really cute crochet book: They were my first attempts at animals and they showed me just how hard it is to crochet evenly and then attach all the limbs correctly. Dylan and Caitlin accepted these two little guys and love them in spite of their lopsidedness. But I decided to try again: Following the same pattern I made these two little puppies. There are still many things about attaching limbs that I need to master. Once the puppies were stuffed their eyes never looked quite like they were supposed to and the noses were obviously stitched on off center. But I learned to pin the limbs into place with straight pins before sewing that that helped me out immensely. Here's the other project from the same book that I have been working on:

some things about me

Is it cheating if I reuse material from another place? Once in college I used a paper I had written for one class for an assignment in another class. I told the professor and he acted like he was giving me a free pass by accepting it. Whatever! I wrote it! Is it my fault that it fit the assignments for two different classes? Anyway, I hardly ever do these but I spent a really long time compiling this list for a facebook meme so I am reprinting it with permission from the author (me) here: 25 things about me. 1. I like the weather to stay between 67-73 degrees. Preferably with sunshine. I also love thunder storms on summer evenings in Utah. They smell amazingly fresh and rainy. I like to watch them from inside. 2. I have enough embarrassing moments to fill this list but one of the most embarrassing was once in college when I thought my car was dead. I called a room mate to come pick me up, she called her brother to come look at the car and tow it. He drove 45 minutes to rescu...